Friday, August 24, 2012

The future is an unknown place

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

That question has been asked to me multiple times during my interviews and finally yesterday I gave the man the most honest and perfect answer ever and here it is:

You know, I'm not entirely sure. If you would have asked me that 5 months ago I would have told you in an office building working at my desk going through the financials of a business and helping them keep their books perfectly. However, upon graduation and now 5 months to think about it, I don't know where I want to be. I have this degree and I don't know exactly how it is that I want to use it because no one will give me a chance to use it.

He looked at me for a minute and then he did the weirdest thing; he agreed. He said we put so much emphasis on going to college so that we can get better and improve our lives, but we also entrust the decision of what we want to do for the rest of forever with our still teenaged self. He had two degrees and is now working in a field that has nothing to do with them. Funny how that works out?

I'm not saying I am questioning the degree I obtained, I'm more reflecting on what it is I really see myself doing.

I've always heard to not plan out your life too much because it can change in an instant, and until just recently I never really believed that.


Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Me? I just want to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment